CLE Seminar: Introduction to Cite-Checking
Wed Oct 20, 2021
- NCAPA Members $55.00
- Non-Members $75.00
Introduction to Cite-Checking
October 20, 2021
5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Deborah Bouchoux, Esq.
Please join the zoom link at 5:30 p.m. so the course can start on time.
A link to register via Zoom will be sent after registration on the website.
NCAPA Members $55; Non-Members $75.
This three-hour cite-checking course is a complete overview of basic citation form and includes the following topics:
• Overview of The Bluebook, including its history and structure
• Strategies for effective cite-checking
• Citation form for federal and state cases (including subsequent history)
• Citation form for federal and state statutes
• Citation form for secondary authorities (books, law reviews, and so forth)
• Punctuation in citation form
• The use of short forms such as id. and supra in citations
This presentation provides critical information for both beginning and experienced cite-checkers.
Attendees will need the 21st Edition of The Bluebook.
This course is approved for 3 hours of CLE Credit from NFPA.
Deborah E. Bouchoux has taught at paralegal programs in various universities, including the University of San Diego and Georgetown University, located in Washington, D.C. She is the author of several books and writings, including Legal Research and Writing for Paralegals (9th edition), Cite-Checker: Your Guide to Using The Bluebook, The Aspen Handbook for Legal Writers (4th edition), and texts on corporate law and intellectual property. Ms. Bouchoux has spoken on a variety of legal topics at private law firms, fortune 500 companies, and various government agencies, including the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and the U.S. Tax Court. Ms. Bouchoux is a member of the Bar of the District of Columbia (active) and the California State Bar (inactive).